9/28/09

"Always look people in the eye"

So, I have learned a lot during this whole thing...like don't drink (too much) and tape, don't NOT tape and drink (too much), don't NOT tape if at all possible, among other wonderful lessons associated with alcohol consumption.

But the most important lesson, or at least the one I can talk about here....came a long time ago, but has been very important in this musical journey of mine.

See (and I am going to get all sad on y'all again, sorry), my grandma's memorial service was yesterday. My Dad bravely got up and read a little statement and talked about his most memorable lesson he learned from his mother and it was to "Always look people in the eye."
And he said he has carried that with him his whole life, and has passed that lesson along to his kids.

So a derivative of that is to "Never meet a stranger."

And so far, I haven't. If you are a stranger it is for one of two reasons -
1. We haven't met yet or 2. I wanted you to stay a stranger (this is not necessarily an insult, I have to keep the excitement up somehow...lol)

I try hard to make friends and not enemies when I do what I do. I am not a jerk, even though I have a bit of a "filter problem". I am not judgmental - this is probably to a fault.
And it take a LOT to make me really really angry, and most of the time though I want to do this:



...and know I CAN do that, I don't. Because I believe in karma, big time.

Ok, so this week - tomorrow I get to see Cage the Elephant, Manchester Orchestra and Silversun Pickups again. And this time, I am going to try to be sans camera and just be a fan. I need to be a fan right now, actually. Balance things out a little bit...
Then Thursday I get to see (and hopefully tape!) Jason Castro.

Friday my new friends Electric Chameleon are playing in Roanoke, and I will definitely be getting some tape from that show.

Things are happening in the business. I got my .com set, and now I need to "make it official", so to speak.

And remember in my last post when I told you about my illegal video of Trent Wagler and the Steel Wheels? Yeah, here it is. Enjoy:

3 comments:

  1. I have lots of shows coming up, too...IF I can make it to all of them. I'm going to have to learn to go alone, though...all of my concert/traveling buddies are either broke or unable to go for whatever reasons or just not interested in the bands. It sucks, but I guess I need to either go on my own or miss the shows.

    Cage the Elephant & Silversun Pickups were just here this weekend, but I didn't get to go see them :/

    Let me know where your .com is when you're ready to go public; I definitely want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. *hugs*

    Definitely a good lesson she and your Dad passed down, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your condolences. It has been a draining 2 months, to say the least...

    And your show-going (or not going...) predicament sounds identical to mine about a year ago...then I gave up and going alone has been really rewarding for me, about 90% of the time!

    ReplyDelete