So I have learned that I communicate best in 140 characters or less. Thanks Twitter.
But this blog requires a little more than that, I guess. And I hear I have some people waiting for this story to be done already. And "in this great future, you can't forget your past", as Bob Marley says, right?
Odd that I bring up that lyric for this aspect of the story...anyway...
February 2009.
Let's just say that after the January whirlwind, drunken craziness...I felt a little weird.
And I had a weird Valentines Day weekend - but I don't get personal in this blog, so that is all you're getting there - but regardless, here is what happened:
Sunday, Feb. 15th...I woke up at like 5am. Couldn't sleep, had something on my mind - I don't really know what, to be honest, it was like some kind of intuition sort of thing. I couldn't pinpoint it.
This happens to me a LOT. Most of the time I shove it away, don't ask me why, I guess I don't always trust my intuition completely. Maybe I should. Oh well.
I went out to the couch, and turned on the TV and flipped channels. Landed on a movie channel where "The Pursuit of Happyness" was coming on.
Sidebar - I have this weird thing with "emotional" movies. I don't watch them right away, most of the time. I let them come to me at the right time.
This was the right time for this movie, clearly.
I fucking cried my eyes out and was like "This is SO right on!! I have to work hard to get where I want and just DO things sometimes!"
So, I look at the JTNL schedule and see that they are playing in Nashville the next night. Yes.
Really quickly (over that Sunday...) I get together my camera, some tapes and put together some business cards for the business. And wake up on Monday and drive to Nashville.
Crazy. I know. But we have all had those times we just feel driven, or called to something.
That was it for me. The strongest I had ever had that feeling, to be honest.
I got to Nashvegas, got my place to stay (which turns out, was a hot spot for some classic country musicians who happen to roll through town. Who knew?)
I gather my crap, and head to the bar - alone.
Now. Some background, sort of. There were 3 bands at this thing. A showcase, from what I understand, for this booking agency. All three had the same agency.
Seabird, The Movement & JTNL.
That's right...The Movement.
Keep in mind at this point I HAD heard The Movement - from the downstairs bar of Awful Arthur's in Blacksburg...I had not seen them.
Keep in mind what drew me to JTNL - which would be Jason Castro...do your research, I did mine.
So I am getting my requisite rum and Diet to "properly" film. LOL. I am getting backhanded compliments from a couple of locals ("That shirt really leaves a lot to the imagination." Fuck off.)
I see a few of the JTNL guys, say hello, notice a little distress...see Mr. Tyler himself, and it turns out his amp was busted.
He goes to the table behind me, which is where one of "the other bands" was sitting to ask if he can borrow their amp for his set. Cool.
I just casually look around at the table, to see who he was talking to... (people, I am at heart such a band chick...this is a natural curiosity. Give me a break here! We all have our "things"...)
I turn back around as quickly. At that table were more dreadlocks than I had seen in quite a while.
THUD.
Promptly order another rum and Diet. I am going to need this.
This was my first glimpse at The Movement. I had sort of heard them, but not really...I am not going to actually get into detail here...but quite a few "Holy shit!" texts were sent to girlfriends about that point.
I compose myself, somewhat. Go to the back of the bar and get my shit together (somehow) to film JTNL.
I sit on my knees on a stool for the whole set. Yes, ow. I am chatting it up with the bus driver for Stoney LaRue, who tells me that they are playing again the next night...and would I be there.
Um. Wasn't part of the plan. But never say never in my world...I have learned that by that point.
So I get this:
I get a lot of that set, but the lighting is weird.
This, at that time, is my "justification" for trying to go the next night.
So then, I wait around to chat with JTNL, who essentially peace out.
But my ass is sticking around...hello. The Movement is next.
And boy are they.
I sit my lonely ass down on a bar stool about 3 feet from the stage. Three feet from J-Smiles, the bassist, who basically does his best Flea/Anthony Keidis impression right in front of about maybe 30 of us.
And that isn't even talking about the rest of the band....I am not going there yet, if ever.
Just the idea is this: I am smitten as of about 10pm on Feb. 16, 2009.
This is a weird feeling folks, to "fall for" a band. If you have never done it, I am sorry. But "we all have something that digs in us", according to Incubus.
So what is the next step, in the pattern of me? Introduce myself, of course.
Which is where Gary and Josh come in. They were the ones sitting around after the show.
An added bonus for me in the "falling for a band" thing (in addition to music that hooks me, stage presence, at least one hot band member ((don't judge me...)) is approachability.
These guys have that coming out of their pores. I think God (or whoever) has some kind of role in this shit...I fall for the nicest bands ever. Both JTNL, who will talk to fans old, new, pretty, ugly for way longer than they should after shows...and The Movement, are the definition of approachable bands.
Considering I had to drive back to my hotel, and I had acquired at least 2 beers post rum & Diets...I had to take a rain check for the beer offer from the fellas. I just said who I was, that I dug the set big time and that I would definitely see them next time there were in driving distance.
And that was that. No video of their set, because, honestly...I would have dropped the camera. Kind of like my first experience with JTNL...this was going to take some, um, tolerance.
I go back to the hotel, get on myspace, as I do...and add these guys as friends right then and there. Decide to work out staying another day, and do.
Sleep in.
The next day, I go and buy a tripod. LOL! Live and learn, people...save those knees.
The show the next night is at Exit In. Great venue. I get a primo spot up on the balcony, and get the whole set again. I usually pick my favorite or best one to put online from any given show. In this case...
So I tape the thing, street team a little (hand out cards, give out the web address, generally talk till I am blue in the face to some folks about the band) and then head down to the merch area where I generally go say hello after any set.
And JTNL have a long ass drive back to Dallas that night, so they are leaving. Bummer.
But I am chatting with bus driver guy again, and just people in general, and looking forward to seeing Stoney play, so I hang out.
I look around to the side bar, just to check it out...and who do I see but Gary and Josh from The Movement wander in! Holy crap!
End up chatting for quite a while, and find out they are heading to VA in April. Cool deal. Exchange cards/numbers...and I head out. Long drive myself the next day. Not a party night for me.
What is that line in Casablanca? You know the one I am talking about....
8/11/09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

How awesome! You seem to come into these situations in the most logical, natural way possible...I hope I learn how to manifest similar situations for myself one of these days :)
ReplyDelete