8/12/09

"So...what are you?"

You would not believe how many times I have been asked that question in doing this.

"Are you a sister?"
"Are you a girlfriend?"
"What are they to you?"
"Are you with the band?"
"Is this your real job?"

Etc., etc., etc.....

I will admit, 4 years ago or so, I would have been curious about a "me" too. As a fan.

But coming from this point of view, as special as it is to me to have a friendship (?) or whatever...with these people, I reference Lester Bangs to myself on a daily basis to keep it in check.



So the quick answer for me is "No."
(Except in the case of my brother's band...then a "Yes" to the sister question.)

But really, ladies, and sometimes guys, I am not your way "in".
Been there, done that, and know that using ME is not going to work.
Plus it is just tacky.

Back off. Or let's be friends. Or be a fan if you are a fan.

Listen, sing, dance, enjoy and be grateful you have some eye candy for a couple hours. Simple as that.

I will do my best to capture it permanently for you and everyone else who is interested.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I had a lot of that, too. The nice thing of being a fixture in a small scene was that people pretty quickly figured out who I was -- and that I was pretty useless to their aims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but Lester Bangs was wrong on one point.

    He, William Miller and you ARE cool.

    Heh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being married to a guy in a band once, that got so super annoying! I can't imagine what that would have been like for wives/gfs/sisters/friends of bigger bands.

    ReplyDelete